Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Life Lessons Learned from Mary Poppins

I went to see the Broadway touring stage production of Mary Poppins the other day. It was an AMAMZING show, with such beautiful costumes and scenery. During the show, I just could not help but think, there are some really good lessons about life here.

1."There is more to life than money". Boy, that can not be more true! And I think now, in the current economy, more people are starting to realize this. If you have the ones you love, you have your health, and you have a passion, it is worth then any amount of money. Does money make life easier? I am told it does. Does it make life? NO.



2."A spoonful of sugar make the medicine go down". How many times have you been asked, do you want the good news or the bad news first. And most always we pick the good news. It just make the bad seem a little easier to take. The Boss telling you, you do GREAT work, and we are closing your store. The child that is told, I will give you a toy if you let them give you the shot. It is always easier to take the bad of anything, if it is delivered with just a little sugar!



3."Feed the birds and show them you care". This is my favorite song in the entire play.

I cried when I heard it at 9 years old, and I still cry every time. Now however, I realize, it is not just about feeding the birds. It is about giving. Giving your time and your self. It is about caring about other living creatures. It is how I try to live my life.


4."Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious". This is the final lesson I think more should apply to life. Just say it. No really, say it out loud RIGHT NOW, I will wait...Now don't you just feel better? Someone ticks you off and you want to say a few other words, just say it. Boss making you crazy, just say it. You just got fired, say it LOUD! The great thing is, in any situation, when you say Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, you will have the last word, because no one will have the faintist idea how to respond! "So when the cat has got your tongue, there's no need for dismay! Just summon up this word and then you've got a lot to say!"



I think Mary Poppins should be required viewing for every person, once a year. It is a story about love, kindness, family and tolerance. And who couldn't use a story like that?

2 comments:

  1. This is GREAT!! :-) I need to watch it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, there are a lot of great life lessons there.

    ReplyDelete